We are excited to announce some new features to the blogsite. As more and more readers are viewing from foreign countries we have added the translate feature to the site. Our readers can also now choose to have the blog emailed to them, and they can search the blog by keywords on various topics. We hope that this makes the site more manageable for you. God Bless.

Hear current audio messages by Pastor Scott Burr at:
http://sermon.net/dayspringchurchag

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Prison Letters: What has happened to me! (Pt.2)

(Study in Philippians)-Part 2

“But I want you to know, brethren, that the things which happened to me have actually turned out for the furtherance of the gospel, so that it has become evident to the whole palace guard, and to all the rest, that my chains are in Christ; and most of the brethren in the Lord, having become confident by my chains, are much more bold to speak the word without fear.”-Philippians 1:12-14

Although Paul doesn’t rehearse the “things that happened to him" here in this passage, he gives us resume of adversities in 2 Corinthians 11:23-28 (NLT):

"Are they servants of Christ? I know I sound like a madman, but I have served him far more! I have worked harder, been put in prison more often, been whipped times without number, and faced death again and again. Five different times the Jewish leaders gave me thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea. I have traveled on many long journeys. I have faced danger from rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the seas. And I have faced danger from men who claim to be believers but are not. I have worked hard and long, enduring many sleepless nights. I have been hungry and thirsty and have often gone without food. I have shivered in the cold, without enough clothing to keep me warm.Then, besides all this, I have the daily burden of my concern for all the churches.”

 Paul was not solely reflecting on his current imprisonment when he declared that “the things which happened to me have actually turned out for the furtherance of the gospel”. He had a resume of difficult circumstances, persecution and pain that he had already navigated. None of which, by the way, came as a surprise to him. 

Although he may not have known the precise events, he was aware of the suffering he would face in following Christ and proclaiming the gospel:

 “For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.”- Acts 9:16.  

How many of you would want to know the lengths that you would suffer for following Christ, right up front? 

Most of us have a hard time looking at what has happened to us and seeing how those experiences could’ve furthered the gospel. I think, in part, that is why Paul wrote 2 Corinthians 11:23-28 (NLT). When you read through Paul’s experiences I am certain that it is hard to believe that any of them could be a catalyst for the gospel. 

Nevertheless, every person reading this column has had “things happen to them”. Some good, some not so good. Some uplifting and encouraging, some traumatic and horrible. Each of these events, however,  have furthered something in our lives: our anger, our doubts, our resolve, our determination, our lack of trust, our bitterness, or unforgiveness. But how many can say that “what has happened to you” has actually turned out to further the gospel?

Scott Burr
Dayspring Community Church 






No comments:

Post a Comment