We are excited to announce some new features to the blogsite. As more and more readers are viewing from foreign countries we have added the translate feature to the site. Our readers can also now choose to have the blog emailed to them, and they can search the blog by keywords on various topics. We hope that this makes the site more manageable for you. God Bless.

Hear current audio messages by Pastor Scott Burr at:
http://sermon.net/dayspringchurchag

Monday, September 9, 2019

The scars of my salvation (Pt.2)

(Part 2 of 2)

“Then the two from Emmaus told their story of how Jesus had appeared to them as they were walking along the road, and how they had recognized him as he was breaking the bread. And just as they were telling about it, Jesus himself was suddenly standing there among them. “Peace be with you,” he said. But the whole group was startled and frightened, thinking they were seeing a ghost! “Why are you frightened?” he asked. “Why are your hearts filled with doubt? Look at my hands. Look at my feet. You can see that it’s really me. Touch me and make sure that I am not a ghost, because ghosts don’t have bodies, as you see that I do.” As he spoke, he showed them his hands and his feet.”-Luke 24:35-40

Why would Jesus show them His hands and feet?  Was it to prove that he was Jesus? The same one they knew and loved and saw crucified.  Or was there something more to it? Several Old Testament passages of Scripture may throw some light on the subject:

“My enemies surround me like a pack of dogs; an evil gang closes in on me. They have pierced my hands and feet.”- Psalm 22:16

“But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.”-Isaiah 53:5

“And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son.”-Zechariah 12:10

Each of these passages pointed to a future Messiah that would be pierced for our salvation. Even Thomas, the disciple who missed Jesus’ first post-resurrection visit, refused to be convinced unless he saw the nail wounds in Jesus’ hands for himself (John 20:24-29). 

Those nail pierced hands were evident of something more than Jesus’ identity. They are evidence of our salvation. Some people have said that the best evidence of salvation is a changed life.  I would clarify that idea this way: a changed life should be the outcome of our salvation and good works a demonstration of our salvation. Nevertheless, you can do both of those things and yet, at moments; even seasons of your life, not feel saved. 

That is why his nailed scarred hands and feet are so significant. Jesus carries in His body the evidence of my salvation. When I don’t feel saved,  I don’t lose hope because I am not trusting in my own abilities or feelings.

 When the devil starts pointing at my life and whispers “See you are not changed?” or “Where are your good works?”; I am reminded that those are not the evidences of my salvation. I look to His nail scarred hands and feet. It was not a changed life that saved me, it was His crucifixion. 

Scott Burr
Dayspring Community Church 



No comments:

Post a Comment