We are excited to announce some new features to the blogsite. As more and more readers are viewing from foreign countries we have added the translate feature to the site. Our readers can also now choose to have the blog emailed to them, and they can search the blog by keywords on various topics. We hope that this makes the site more manageable for you. God Bless.

Hear current audio messages by Pastor Scott Burr at:
http://sermon.net/dayspringchurchag

Thursday, April 20, 2017

The Role of a Godly Wife (Pt. 3)

(Part 3 of 3)

“These older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes, to do good and be submissive to their husbands. Then they will not bring shame on the world of God.” -Titus 2:4-5

The role of a Godly wife is not defined merely by submission. Titus teaches us that women are also to love their husbands. This may look different in every home dependent on your spouse’s love language. It’s important to discover what make’s your husband feel loved. My husband feels loved from receiving words of affirmation. I could bake him a cake and wash his car and although he may appreciate it, it doesn’t communicate love to him. If you want to love your husband you must discover what makes him feel loved. 

Titus also teaches us that a wife should also strive to live self-controlled and pure lives. I am the only person who controls what I look at, what I listen to, what I think about and what I say. Am I honoring God with how I present myself? Women are screaming to be valued, yet many (not all mind you) are flocking to the movies and throwing money at the devaluing of women in movies such as 50 Shades Darker. What are we saying? If we want to be valued, we must first value ourselves my maintaining a pure heart before God. 

Godly wives are also industrious at home. In some seasons of life being busy at home looks like changing diapers, feeding babies, and just trying to maintain the crazy. At other times it looks like running teenagers from one event to another while trying to provide some fashion of a healthy meal and clean clothes in the midst of it. The key is to be involved in the life of your family regardless of how busy or crazy life gets.  

Another key component of being a Godly wife is to be kind and do good. When I think of this I am reminded of Proverbs 31:23: 

Her husband is well know at the city gates, where he sits with the other civic leaders.”

What a powerful truth regarding a true woman of God. That she lives her life in such a way that her husband is respected because of how she carries herself. Her love, industrious nature, purity, and respect communicate the strength that she brings to her family. 

A Godly wife understands the importance of respect in a marriage. When I respect my husband, I give value to him, to his thoughts, his ideas, his wishes and desires. I never devalue him in the eyes of others by bad mouthing him or undermining his decisions, because I know that God has called me to demonstrate respect towards him:

“So again I say, each man must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.”-Ephesians 5:33

Finally, a Godly wife is concerned about developing her inward beauty:

“Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.”- 1 Peter 3:3-4

There are so many ways that a wife can bring insight and value into a marriage; but one of the most important ways she can contribute to the health of her marriage is by learning to develop within her the nature of God in its unfading beauty. 

Tandy Burr
Dayspring Community Church



No comments:

Post a Comment