We are excited to announce some new features to the blogsite. As more and more readers are viewing from foreign countries we have added the translate feature to the site. Our readers can also now choose to have the blog emailed to them, and they can search the blog by keywords on various topics. We hope that this makes the site more manageable for you. God Bless.

Hear current audio messages by Pastor Scott Burr at:
http://sermon.net/dayspringchurchag

Thursday, July 14, 2016

A crisis of faith! (Pt.3)

(Part 3 of 3)

"And when He came to the disciples, He saw a great multitude around them, and scribes disputing with them. Immediately, when they saw Him, all the people were greatly amazed, and running to Him, greeted Him. And He asked the scribes, “What are you discussing with them?” Then one of the crowd answered and said, “Teacher, I brought You my son, who has a mute spirit. And wherever it seizes him, it throws him down; he foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth, and becomes rigid. So I spoke to Your disciples, that they should cast it out, but they could not.” He answered him and said, “O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him to Me.” Then they brought him to Him. And when he saw Him, immediately the spirit convulsed him, and he fell on the ground and wallowed, foaming at the mouth. So He asked his father, “How long has this been happening to him?”
And he said, “From childhood. And often he has thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.” Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.” Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”-Mark 9:14-24

Lord, I believe; help my unbelief! I wonder how many of us can relate to this story? A caring father brings his son to the disciples because he is being terrorized by a wicked spirit. He is desperate but hopeful that the disciples can cast out the foul spirit and bring some relief to his son. Unfortunately, the disciples were unsuccessful and the man’s hope for his son’s recovery continues to plummet. Whatever hope and faith he possessed when he arrived has slowly begun to vanish. You can hear the doubt and despair in the man’s voice as he recounts to Jesus the tragic events of his son’s life.

Jesus declares to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes” to which the man through tears cries out “Lord, I believe, help my unbelief.”

How many know that it is hard to live by faith when you dragging doubt and despair around with you? Doubt and despair are like weighty luggage. Containers within which we pack all our disappointments, unmet expectations, and feelings of hopelessness. Try taking a leap of faith when you are weighted down with these!

However, there is hope! Freedom begins when we are willing to check our bags! Luggage that weighs over 50 lb. is required by most airline companies to be checked. You are not allowed to carry checked baggage onto the plane. Before you can board the plane, you have to entrust it to a steward, who then becomes responsible for making sure it gets to where it needs to go. It is no longer in your hands.

Jesus tells us in Matthew 11:28-30 that we need to treat doubt and despair like checked bags:

“Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”

Jesus knew that we would face situations that would cause us to doubt and despair, but he never intended for us to carry them. He said bring them to me and I will give you rest. When we are faced with a crisis of faith and become overwhelmed with doubt and despair we can remember this; He is now responsible for them. You don’t have to carry those burdens any longer!


Pastor Scott Burr
Dayspring Community Church

No comments:

Post a Comment