We are excited to announce some new features to the blogsite. As more and more readers are viewing from foreign countries we have added the translate feature to the site. Our readers can also now choose to have the blog emailed to them, and they can search the blog by keywords on various topics. We hope that this makes the site more manageable for you. God Bless.

Hear current audio messages by Pastor Scott Burr at:
http://sermon.net/dayspringchurchag

Thursday, March 3, 2016

I am the Good Shepherd

“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd scarifies his life for the sheep.”-John 10:11 (NLT)

Here in the book of John, Chapter 11, Jesus makes a distinction between two types of individuals tasked with caring for the flock: shepherds and hired hands. Hired hands, according to the passage, have little to no concern for the sheep. They will abandon the sheep at the first sign of trouble because they feel no obligation to protect them. They feel no responsibility towards the sheep for their care or safety. They are simply after a paycheck! 

Shepherds, however, care deeply about the sheep. They know the sheep, and the sheep now them. They make provision for the sheep and work diligently to ensure their protection. King David, a shepherd himself, recognized the parallel between shepherds and sheep and the Lord and His children:

The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful stream. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name. Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.”-Psalm 23:1-4 (NLT)

David recognized that just as shepherds lead their sheep to greener pastures and peaceful waters; the Lord, too, leads His people into sustenance and life through the provision and refreshing of the Holy Spirit. 

He acknowledged the similarity between a gentle shepherd guiding his sheep down right paths and how the Lord guides His people towards righteousness. He showed an appreciation for the rod and the staff; praising God for His unique ability to bring comfort to a man’s soul through a balance of protection and correction.  

King David was not the only person who saw the similarities between shepherds and the Lord. Isaiah the prophet recorded these words:

He will feed his flock like a shepherd. He will carry the lambs in his arms, holding them close to his heart. He will gently lead the mother sheep with their young.”-Isaiah 40:11

The Prophet Ezekiel takes it even further:

“For this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I myself will search and find my sheep. I will be like a shepherd looking for his scattered flock. I will find my sheep and rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on that dark and cloudy day. I will bring them back home to their own land of Israel from among the peoples and nations. I will feed them on the mountains of Israel and by the rivers and in all the places where people live. Yes, I will give them good pastureland on the high hills of Israel. There they will lie down in pleasant places and feed in the lush pastures of the hills. I myself will tend my sheep and give them a place to lie down in peace, says the Sovereign Lord.-Ezekiel 34:11-15

The Lord, Himself, has declared it! He is the Good Shepherd and we are the sheep of His pasture. When it comes to you and I; He is no hired hand. He knows us better than we know ourselves, and He is continually looking out for our best interest. 

Pastor Scott Burr & Pastor Jon Gaines

Dayspring Community Church

No comments:

Post a Comment