We are excited to announce some new features to the blogsite. As more and more readers are viewing from foreign countries we have added the translate feature to the site. Our readers can also now choose to have the blog emailed to them, and they can search the blog by keywords on various topics. We hope that this makes the site more manageable for you. God Bless.

Hear current audio messages by Pastor Scott Burr at:
http://sermon.net/dayspringchurchag

Friday, February 8, 2013

Push the Bowl Away

(Part 1 in series)

See that no one is sexually immoral, or is godless like Esau, who for a single meal sold his inheritance rights as the oldest son. Afterward as you know, when he wanted to inherit the blessing he was rejected. He could bring about no change of mind, though he sought the blessing with tears.”

                                                                                                            Hebrews 12:16-17

Many of you know the story of Jacob and Esau, but for those who have not the story bears repeating! According to Genesis 25, Jacob and Esau were Isaac’s twin sons. Esau was born first, with Jacob coming out second grasping his brother’s heel. Esau grew up to be a skillful hunter, while Jacob was a quiet man staying among the tents. Genesis 25:29-34 tells us:

“Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished. He said to Jacob, “Quick, let me have some red stew! I’m famished!” (That is why he is also called Edom.) Jacob replied, “First sell me your birthright.” “Look, I am about to die,” Esau said. “What good is a birthright to me?” But Jacob said, “Swear to me first.” So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob. Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then he got up and left. So Esau despised his birthright.”

Esau sold his birthright for a bowl of stew! What does that mean? What did he actually give up? As first born son the birthright secured for him primarily three things:

1.      A double portion of the property

2.      Authority over the family as head of the family

3.      The blessing- which place him in closed favored covenant relationship with God.

In Genesis 27:1- 4, Isaac is old and about to die. He calls Esau in and tells him what to do in preparation to receive the blessing:

“When Isaac was old and his eyes were so weak that he could no longer see, he called for Esau his older son and said to him, “My son.” “Here I am,” he answered. Isaac said, “I am now an old man and don’t know the day of my death. Now then, get your weapon-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me. Prepare me the kind of tasty food I like and bring it to me to eat, so that I may give you my blessing before I die.”

Esau’s oath to Jacob meant nothing if the birthright blessing and Isaac’s oral declaration were spoken over Esau. It was this blessing that legally and spiritually bound the birthright in near eastern culture. This turn of events led Rebekah (Jacob & Esau’s mother) and Jacob to devise a plan to ensure Jacob received the promised blessing!

 

Pastor Scott Burr

http://faithandworshipseries.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment